Support the Meriden YMCA
A lot has changed at the Meriden-New Britain-Berlin YMCA over this past year, but our commitment has remained the same - to always be here for our community when people need us most, with open arms and caring hearts.
When the devastating effects of COVID-19 swept across the country and landed on our doorsteps, we quickly rallied to provide our community with essential services. Thanks to the unwavering support of our staff, members, volunteers, donors and community partners, our YMCA has been able to continue offering people a critical lifeline as we work to help our community recover and thrive.
While we were closed March – June of 2020, our Y served the community by:
- Providing free emergency child care for 126 children of first responders, health care workers and essential workers at two infant, toddler, preschool and school age centers;
- Delivering meals to 70 children in our Head Start program;
- Offering free senior wellness newsletters including virtual senior exercise classes, wellness tips, recipes and virtual activities;
- Checking in with our senior members;
- Providing daily virtual workouts, recipes, and uplifting messages for families and adults;
- Sharing weekly virtual sports skills workouts for our young athletes to practice at home;
- Hosting a virtual sunrise Easter service;
- Teaching free virtual art, dance and STEM classes;
- Engaging families with virtual game nights;
- Planning for summer camp and for reopening our main facilities and child care programs.
Our Y reopened June 20, 2020 including the YMCA facility at 110 West Main Street, nine child care facilities, and our day camp where we served 300 children per day for ten weeks. We have been busy, adapting to new protocols, sometimes on a daily basis. Our Y is providing:
- Youth programming such as swim lessons and team, gymnastics, theater, art, dance, STEM, and sports;
- Infant, toddler, preschool and before and after school care (at reduced capacity under the new guidelines);
- In person exercise classes following all safety protocols;
- A senior only exercise hour for senior members who feel more comfortable coming at a time when fewer people are in the building;
- Approximately 3,000 meals per week for our child care students;
- Employment for fifty youth under the summer youth employment program;
- Virtual classes to one hundred families with preschool aged children that are disengaged;
- Over 300 meals to our neighbors on Thanksgiving and on Christmas, and toys to families at the MPS December food distribution event.
This past year we were not able to host our normal fundraising events which are critical to serving our community mission. The need for your support is greater than ever. We’re asking for your help with our Annual Support Campaign so we can continue to support our neighbors and strengthen our community.
Together, we can provide child care for parents who need to go to work, housing for those who are homeless, opportunities for kids and adults to stay active, and holiday meals for our neighbors in need.
Strong communities are built by people who care about one another. Please support the Y.
John Benigni, CEO, Meriden-New Britain-Berlin YMCA
Steve Markoja, Branch Director, Meriden YMCA
Marci Moskal, Branch Director, New Britain and Berlin YMCAs
P.S. Every dollar you give helps kids, families and individuals in our community.
- $1,500 Gives a child a magical summer at Mountain Mist.
- $1,000 Provides two weeks of summer camp fun for 3 children.
- $750 Provides a month of preschool to prepare a child for success in school.
- $500 Allows 9 children to have life-saving swim lessons.
- $250 Gives 6 children a youth sports experience for active safe fun.
- $100 Brightens the holidays for 10 people with a holiday meal.
Please support our 2021 Golf Tournament.
Every gift matters. Please make your contribution today. Donate online by clicking on the button below, or mail or drop off your Forever Grateful donor form. Your donation is tax deductible. Thank you for your support. Together, we make our community stronger.Contact the Meriden YMCA Today ›