We are excited to be open and welcome you back to the Y. Our facilities will reopen in phases following all safety guidelines.
Many favorite activities and amenities are available in complete compliance with the Governor’s Reopening Task Force, CDC, and local health guidelines. While the YMCA may look a little different due to the new safety guidelines, our commitment to serving our community has not changed.
Please read our June 20 Reopening Plan. Schedule updates will be added to this page as we move forward in phases, published on our social media channels and send to members in our newsletters.
See you soon!
Hours of Operation
- New schedule effective Tuesday September 8th
- Monday – Thursday 5:00 AM – 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Friday 5:00 AM – 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM
- Saturday 7:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Sunday 7:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Senior Hour Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 1:30-2:30 PM. This hour is reserved exclusively for our active older adult members. Senior members may reserve time in Silver Sneakers class (Monday, Wednesday and Friday), Fit Senior Yoga (chair yoga) on Thursday, fitness center, pool, or indoor track. Our senior members are also welcome to reserve time during our regular hours. This Senior Hour is for those who feel more comfortable working out when there are only senior members at the Y.
- Please be advised of the Travel Advisory and quarantine. State of Connecticut Travel Advisory
- Members and staff will be screened before entering our building with questions and a temperature check using a temporal thermometer. We will review our facility rules with members prior to entry. Anyone who has a temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit or higher will not be allowed in the facility.
- Masks are required for everyone's safety. According to the CDC guidance on masks, masks with exhalation valves and gaiters are not recommended. Gaiters and KN 95 masks with one way valves or vents will not be allowed at the Y. T-shirts covering your face is not a substitute for a mask. A proper mask must be worn. The Y requires that face masks be worn in all common areas. Masks may be removed during classes or strenuous exercise if social distancing is maintained. See CDC guidance for information on two layer face masks.
- There is a one way traffic flow throughout the building. Entrance is through the Butler Street side only. Exit is through the West Main Street side only.
- Children are only allowed in the building for the following: family swim time (by reservation); family basketball time (by reservation); scheduled programs (i.e. swim lessons; swim team practice; Fall Youth Basketball); with a parent for front desk business (i.e. registering for a program). Child must be accompanied by parent at all times. Child Watch and Exergame Room are closed.
- Call ahead to reserve your workout time.
- Signs with safety reminders including handwashing instructions will be throughout the facility.
- The Meriden-New Britain-Berlin YMCA is committed to maintaining a safe and clean environment. We are implementing additional stringent cleaning and disinfecting protocols throughout all areas of Y facilities and program sites. The Y will only use products that meet the EPA’s criteria for use against the virus
that causes COVID-19. We will be using the Electrostatic Sprayer daily.
- Bring a water bottle.
- The Family Locker Room is the only locker room open at this time, for bathroom use only. No showers.
- Starting October 1st, locker rooms and showers will be available for swimmers and aqua aerobics participants to use after exercising in the pool. Click here for Locker Room information.
- Come dressed to work out and dressed to swim. Leave gym bags and backpacks at home.
- By reservation - Group Exercise Classes, Pool, Fitness Center, Fitness Area 2, Half Gym (2 hoops), Track, Racquetball
- Call us at 203.235.6386 during our business hours to reserve your workout time. You can make the reservation up to 24 hours in advance. Reservations are on a first come first served.
- If you come to the Y without a reservation, we will do our best to schedule you for a workout on a space available basis, abiding by all of the safety and capacity guidelines.
- The fitness area equipment has been spread out into two rooms to meet the safety guidelines. The fitness center has weights and cardio. The multipurpose (karate) room also has cardio equipment. You can reserve time in each room.
- Classes are by reservation only. Children age 12 and up may attend group exercise class with parents. Child must be part of the same family membership and living at the same household. Participation in group exercise classes is by reservation only. No drop ins.
- Meriden YMCA group exercises are for Meriden-New Britaiin-Berlin YMCA members only at this time. No guests from other YMCAs.
- Child Watch and the Exergame Room are closed.
- Children cannot come to Y and wait outside exercise class or fitness center for parent.
- Classes will be offered in the aerobics studio with numbers on the floor, in the gymnasium, and outside where possible.
- Group exercise classes will now have a maximum of 6 – 9 people depending on the class if it is held in the Aerobics Room. Classes held in the gymnasium will have a larger capacity. Participants will be spaced 12 feet apart. Individuals do not have to wear a mask while working out while safely distanced from others.
- Spinning classes will take place in the gymnasium.
- The spin studio has been repurposed for personal training. When not being used for personal training it can be used for an individual workout area.
- Group Exercise Classes are by reservation. Reservations for evening classes must be received by 2:00 PM the day of the class. Reservations for morning classes must be received by 7:00 PM the previous evening. Reservations are first come first served.
- New Group Exercise Schedule Effective Sept. 21st
Family Swim Time
- Starting Monday July 27th we will be offering Family Swim from 10:45-11:30 AM, and 11:45 AM-12:30 PM Monday – Friday at the Meriden YMCA indoor pool.
- One family per time slot. All swimmers must be on the same family membership and living in same household, with a maximum of 6 family members.
- An adult (parent/guardian) must go in the pool with the children. No drop offs.
- A two lane area will be opened for the family. There will be a closed lane between the family swim area and lap swimmers.
- Family swim time is by reservation only. Families can make reservations up to one day in advance by calling the Y during our regular business hours at 203.235.6386. Reservations are on a first come first served basis.
- Family swim reservations must be made by 8:00 AM the day of the family swim time. If we do not have any families who have made a reservation by 8:00 AM, we will open those lanes for lap swimmers during those times.
- Swimmers must shower before coming to the Y. Showers are not available during the Meriden-New Britain-Berlin YMCAs Phase One reopening.
- Swimmers are to come dressed in their bathing suit to maximize their exercise time during their reserved time slot. The family locker room will be the only locker room open during this phase for bathrooms only. No showers. No changing. Our bathrooms will also be open. Swimmers will leave in their bathing suits. No changing on the pool deck.
- Entrance to the pool is through the Family Locker room. Exit is from the pool deck door near the lobby.
- All PPE masks are to be worn until you are at your lane and are ready to enter the water. Once you are out of the water, your mask must be on until you are out of the building.
- Pool Rules.
- July 20th Update: Half of the gym has been reserved for those members who want to reserve a basketball hoop.
- Individual reservation- Two hoops available per hour. One person per basketball hoop. Each person must stay in their hoop area, and may not play each other. Bring your own ball. You may only bring a basketball into the Y if you have a basketball reservation.
- Family reservation - One family can reserve this area for an hour, parents and children. They must all be part of the same household membership and living at the same address. Parents must come with their children.
- Members must preregister to use the pool.
- Effective September 1st: Two swimmers may share a lane, swimming from opposite ends. Individual lanes are not guaranteed.
- Aqua Aerobics in shallow end for 8 members. There will be two classes Monday through Friday, one at 8:45 AM and one at 9:45 AM, and on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings 8:30-9:00 PM. Classes will be held using lanes 3-6, allowing lap swim in 1 and 2. All by reservation only.
- Family Swim Time starts July 27th, by reservation, one family per time spot.
- Swimmers must shower before coming to the Y. Showers are not available at this time.
- Swimmers should come dressed in their bathing suit. The family locker room will be the only locker room open during this phase for bathrooms only, no showers. Lobby and second floor bathrooms are also open.
- Entrance to the pool is through the Family Locker Room. Exit is from the pool deck door near the lobby.
- All PPE masks are to be worn until you are at your lane and you are ready to enter the water. Once you are out of the water you must put your mask back on and wear it until you are out of the building.
- By reservation. Max of 2 people. Over age 21.
- Bring your own equipment.
Visitors and Guest Policy
- Only Meriden-New-Britain-Berlin YMCA members and staff will be allowed in the buildings due to safety and capacity guidelines. No members from other YMCAs, guests, or visitors.