We are excited to be open and welcome you back to the Y. Our facilities have reopened in phases following all safety guidelines.
Many favorite activities and amenities are available in complete compliance with the Governor’s Reopening Task Force, CDC, and local health guidelines. While the YMCA may look a little different due to the new safety guidelines, our commitment to serving our community has not changed.
See you soon!
Hours of Operation
- Monday – Thursday 5:00 AM – 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Friday 5:00 AM – 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM
- Saturday 7:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Sunday 7:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Senior Hour Monday - Friday 1:30-2:30 PM. This hour is reserved exclusively for our active older adult members. This Senior Hour is for those who feel more comfortable working out when there are only senior members at the Y. Senior members are also welcome to schedule reservations at other times of day.
- On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays senior members may reserve time during Senior Hour in Silver Sneakers class, pool, fitness areas and indoor track.
- On Tuesdays and Thursdays during Senior Hour senior members may reserve time in the fitness areas and indoor track.
- On Thursdays Fit Senior Yoga (chair yoga) is offered at 1:30 PM.
- Our senior members are also welcome to reserve time during our regular hours.
- Holiday schedule: Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve 5:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., closed Christmas Day, New Year's Day 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Regular schedule all other days.
Keeping Members and Staff Safe
Our Y has implemented new protocols in accordance with state and local health department guidelines to keep our members and staff safe.
The 3 W's can make a big difference in controlling #COVID19: Wear a mask, Wash your hands, Watch your distance.
Please be advised of the Travel Advisory and quarantine. State of Connecticut Travel Advisory
Members and staff will be screened before entering our building with questions and a temperature check using a temporal thermometer. We will review our facility rules with members prior to entry. Anyone who has a temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit or higher will not be allowed in the facility.
Here are the COVID screening questions. Please review them before visiting. If your answer yes to any of these you are not permitted to enter the Y.
1. Do you have a cough, shortness of breath or any other cold or flu symptoms not assessed and cleared by your primary physician?
2. Have you traveled outside of the United States within the past 14 days and have you reported all out of state travel during that period?
3. Have you knowingly been exposed to someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the community?
4. Did someone in your household get a COVID-19 test (not related to regular screening or medical procedure) and is waiting for their test results?
New Entry System
January 6, 2021 update
Dear YMCA Family:
At the Y, we are committed to serving you safely. For this reason, we have installed a new entry system that will assist us in monitoring the flow of traffic into our building to help meet the COVID capacity requirements and keep you safe. Beginning Saturday, January 9th we will be using our new entry system. The front doors will be locked at all times. Our welcome center staff will speak to you and allow you access into the building by pressing the button on the intercom which is located on the right side of our front doors. Please remember workout times are by reservation. Please call ahead so we may assist you with your reservation. We are all in this together. Thank you for your continued support!
Masks Are Required
- Masks are required for everyone's safety. According to the CDC guidance on masks, masks with exhalation valves and gaiters are not recommended. Gaiters and KN 95 masks with one way valves or vents will not be allowed at the Y. T-shirts covering your face is not a substitute for a mask. A proper mask must be worn.
- See CDC guidance for information on two layer face masks.
- Please note per Governor Lamont's Executive Order 9M issued November 20th and effective November 23rd, masks are required at all times, no exceptions. They must be worn in all areas of the facility. They may be removed when you are at your pool lane and ready to enter the water.
Wash Your Hands
Signs with safety reminders including handwashing instructions are throughout the facility.
Cleaning and Disinfecting
The Meriden-New Britain-Berlin YMCA is committed to maintaining a safe and clean environment. We are implementing additional stringent cleaning and disinfecting protocols throughout all areas of Y facilities and program sites. The Y will only use products that meet the EPA’s criteria for use against the virus nthat causes COVID-19. We will be using the Electrostatic Sprayer daily. We also ask members to please wipe down machines before and after use.
One Way Traffic Flow
There is a one way traffic flow throughout the building. Entrance is through the Butler Street side only. Exit is through the West Main Street side only.
- Locker rooms and showers are available for swimmers and aqua aerobics participants to use after exercising in the pool. Click here for Locker Room information.
- Come dressed to work out and dressed to swim. Leave gym bags and backpacks at home.
- By reservation - Group Exercise Classes, Pool, Fitness Center, Fitness Area 2, Half Gym, Track, Racquetball (bring your own equipment).
- Bring a water bottle. Water fountains are not available to drink from. A water refill station is available outside the fitness center to refill your water bottle.
- Call us at 203.235.6386 during our business hours to reserve your workout time. You can make the reservation up to 24 hours in advance. Reservations are on a first come first served.
- If you come to the Y without a reservation, we will do our best to schedule you for a workout on a space available basis, abiding by all of the safety and capacity guidelines.
- The fitness area equipment has been spread out into two rooms to meet the safety guidelines. The fitness center has weights and cardio. The multipurpose (karate) room also has cardio equipment. You can reserve time in each room.
- Classes are by reservation only. Children age 12 and up may attend group exercise class with parents. Child must be part of the same family membership and living at the same household. Participation in group exercise classes is by reservation only. No drop ins.
- Meriden YMCA group exercises are for Meriden-New Britain-Berlin YMCA members only at this time. No guests from other YMCAs.
- Child Watch and the Exergame Room are closed.
- Children cannot come to Y and wait outside exercise class or fitness center for parent.
- Group exercise classes are held in the Aerobics Room and in the Gymnasium. Participants will be spaced 12 feet apart.
- Spinning classes will take place in the gymnasium.
- The spin studio has been repurposed for personal training. When not being used for personal training it can be used for an individual workout area.
- Group Exercise Classes are by reservation. Reservations for evening classes must be received by 2:00 PM the day of the class. Reservations for morning classes must be received by 7:00 PM the previous evening. Reservations are first come first served.
- New Group Exercise Schedule Effective Sept. 21st
What's available for children
Please note: Governor Lamont's Executive Order 9M issued November 20th and effective November 23, 2020 has paused sports leagues and swim team through January 19, 2021. Please contact our coaches, Cathy Lewis (Seals swim team) and Justin Ferreira (Youth Sports) for more information. Many other programs are running, following all safety guidelines including swim lessons, Art, STEM, MYT, Dance, Gymnastics lessons. Please visit our Programs for more information.
Children are allowed in the building for the following: family basketball time (by reservation); scheduled programs; with a parent for front desk business (i.e. registering for a program). Child must be accompanied by parent at all times. Child Watch and Exergame Room are closed.
Family Swim Time
Update: We are not able to offer Family Swim at this time due to the Governor's Executive Order 9M issued November 20th and effective November 23, 2020 through January 19, 2021, which includes reductions in the number of individuals that can be in the pool at one time.
- Family Swim is available from 10:45-11:30 AM, and 11:45 AM-12:30 PM Monday – Friday at the Meriden YMCA indoor pool.
- One family per time slot. All swimmers must be on the same family membership and living in same household, with a maximum of 6 family members.
- An adult (parent/guardian) must go in the pool with the children. No drop offs.
- A two lane area will be opened for the family. There will be a closed lane between the family swim area and lap swimmers.
- Family swim time is by reservation only. Families can make reservations up to one day in advance by calling the Y during our regular business hours at 203.235.6386. Reservations are on a first come first served basis.
- Family swim reservations must be made by 8:00 AM the day of the family swim time. If we do not have any families who have made a reservation by 8:00 AM, we will open those lanes for lap swimmers during those times.
- Swimmers must shower before coming to the Y. Showers are available after using the pool.
- Swimmers are to come dressed in their bathing suit to maximize their exercise time during their reserved time slot.
- Entrance to the pool is through the Family Locker room. Exit is from the pool deck door near the lobby.
- All PPE masks are to be worn until you are at your lane and are ready to enter the water. Once you are out of the water, your mask must be on until you are out of the building.
- Pool Rules.
- Reminder: Masks must be worn at all times.
- Individual reservation - Up to four hoops available per hour spread out in the gym. Max of one person per hoop. Individuals are required to stay in their hoop area and not play the individuals at the other hoops. Shooting baskets only. No pick up games. Bring your own ball. You may only bring a basketball into the Y if you have a basketball reservation.
- Family reservation - One family can reserve this area for an hour, parents and children, a maximum of four people. They must all be part of the same household membership and living at the same address. Parents must come with their children. All must wear masks at all times, including while playing.
- Members must preregister to use the pool.
- Aqua Aerobics class is by reservation
- Entrance to the pool is through the Family Locker Room. Exit is from the pool deck door near the lobby.
- All PPE masks are to be worn until you are at your lane and ready to enter the water. Once you are out of the water you must put your mask back on and wear it until you are out of the building.
Visitors and Guest Policy
- Only Meriden-New-Britain-Berlin YMCA members and staff will be allowed in the buildings due to safety and capacity guidelines. No members from other YMCAs, guests, or visitors.
Resources for more information:
- CDC guidance for information on two layer face masks.
- State of Connecticut Travel Advisory
- State of Connecticut COVID-19 Response Latest Guidance
- City of Meriden Health Department
Contact the Meriden YMCA Today ›