Kids & Teen Fitness
Middle School Strength Training
Do you have a middle school age child in grades 6 through 8 that you would like to work out in the Fitness Center with you? Normally you have to be age 14 and older to use the Fitness Center. However if your middle school aged child completes this program, they may use the Fitness Center Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and any time during hours of operation on Saturday or Sunday with a parent or guardian.
Trained fitness staff will provide instruction with free weights, Cybex strengthening equipment and cardio equipment to ensure proper technique and encourage positive life-long exercise habits.
- Location: Meriden YMCA Fitness Center
- Winter: January 3 - February 16, 2017
- Spring I: March 2 - April 13, 2017
- Time: Tuesdays and Thursdays 3:15-4:00 p.m.
- Full Member Fee: $30* per 7 week session
- Program Member Fee: $55* per 7 week session
- *Early registration price. Add $10 late fee if you register after early registration period.
P.A.C.E. (Physical Activity Changes Everything)
This is a free five week program for children ages 7 to 13 years old and their parent(s) for those who qualify who are recommended by their pediatrician.
Has your pediatrician told you that your child is overweight, needs to eat healthier and exercise more but you did not know where to turn? The Meriden YMCA’s PACE Program can help. The Meriden YMCA is now accepting enrollments for our free five week PACE Program to help local families live healthier lives.
The PACE program program includes: nutrition education, physical fitness (including use of our Exergame Fitness Arcade and exercise to work into your everyday life) and tips for grocery shopping and preparing healthy affordable meals.
Here is what parents say about the PACE program:
“The PACE program helped our family become healthier. My son is trying a variety of healthy foods including vegetables and he feels and looks great!”
“This has been a life changing experience for our family.”
"Every household needs this program. We can still eat healthy on a small budget. If you get a person healthy you get their body and their mind healthy. There is no looking back. We are staying with it. I am so thankful and appreciative for this program."
Here is what kids say about the PACE program:
- “It’s great fun and exciting!”
- “I have water now instead of soda and I cut back on food. I feel good.”
- “I learned running is fun!”
- “I’m eating better food.”
- “I tried new foods, my jeans are loose and my tightest ones fit now.”
- “I liked picking my own exercises…and ZUMBA is fun!”
Click here for Tips to Fight Childhood ObesityContact the Meriden YMCA Today ›