(Courtesy of the YMCA of Columbus Ohio newsletter)
Although this may be a simple concept, 75% of Americans suffer from chronic dehydration and do not drink the recommended 8 glasses of water a day. Feel thirsty? You're already dehydrated! We get it, water isn't exactly 'fun' to drink, but drinking water can increase your metabolism while decreasing your irritability, fatigue, foggy memory and more. Here are some simple tips on staying hydrated- especially if water simply isn't your thing.
- Add flavor to your water (fruit, cucumbers, mint)
- Drink a glass of water after every bathroom break
- Sip before, during and after each meal
- Get a fun reusable water bottle you will enjoy carrying, especially one that marks water levels
- Take your water bottle everywhere with you
- Dilute any sugary drinks with water and ice
- Invest in a water filter so your water tastes clean and fresh
- Choose water over soda
- Set a reminder on your phone to drink water throughout the day.