Screenwriters Workshop for Grades 4 through 8
This award winning, one-of-a-kind program fosters early vocational writing endeavors of students in grades 4 through 8. The Screenwriter’s Workshop provides an environment for dozens of writers to complete their first screenplay (and often their second, third and fourth too). Students learn the conventions of film industry-standard screenwriting by critically viewing select movies and reading produced scripts. With the engine of their rich imaginations, writers are able to produce an original five-minute narrative screenplay. Because screenwriting is a medium intended for performance, the writers will experience the thrill of seeing their work presented in a series of staged readings. The finished screenplays will be cast using the Meriden Youth Theatre at the YMCA, and performed at the Augusta Curtis Cultural Center.
- Grades: 4 through 8
- Instructor: Tom Hutchinson
- Dates: September 8 - December 1, 2018
- Day/time: Saturdays 1:00 p.m.- 4:00 p.m.
- Location: Meriden YMCA Arts Center, 14-16 West Main St.
- Full Member Fee: $49
- Program Member Fee: $69
- Maximum of 8 students
Screenwriters Workshop for Adults
Learn the fundamentals of screenwriting in this workshop. Writers will become familiar with the time honored screenplay format used in film, with an emphasis on storytelling and structure. We’ll analyze the great movies (or not so great) to see what makes them tick. We’ll also read the best screenwriters in the business and see what makes them tick too. Bring your inspiration and see what stories you can tell.
Instructor: Tom Hutchinson, WGA member/writer
Dates: September 20 - December 13, 2018
- Day/time: Thursdays 7:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m.
- Location: Meriden YMCA Arts Center, 14-16 West Main Street
- Full Member Fee $98
- Program Member Fee $138
- Register: At the Meriden YMCA, 110 West Main Street, Meriden
Tom Hutchinson's Bio
Experienced writer, Hollywood past:
- “Perfect Match” ESPN
- “The Year in Sports” Weller Productions/syndicated
- “My Generation” VH1
- “Animals Are People Too” Bogorad/Wyler Productions
- “Ed Sullivan’s Rock and Roll Classics” Andrew Solt Productions/VH1
- “The Hoop Life” Levinson/Fontana Company, Paramount/Showtime
- “Birdbath” Jay Thomas Enterprises
- “The Toastmaster” Joe Cacaci Productions
- “Except After C” Empera Productions
- “The Party Guy” Eric Krebs Productions/ Rewrite assignment
- “Vegas Vows” Kevin Meaney one-man-show, Aspen Comedy Festival, Hasty Pudding Theater/Contemporary Entertainment
- “Boulevard of Dreams” Viacom
- “Rocky Times” White Dog Productions/NBC
- “Whacked Out” Paramount
- “Sunset Springs” White Dog Productions/NBC
- “Jack and Patty Show” White Dog Productions/NBC
Member: Writers Guild of America
Emerson College, Boston.
How to register for programs:
1. If you already have an up to date membership - You can register online, by phone at 203.235.6386 or in person at the Meriden YMCA at 110 West Main Street.
2. If you do not have a membership yet or need to update your membership - Register in person at the Meriden YMCA at 110 West Main Street.Contact the Meriden YMCA Today ›