Membership Policies and Questions
Accommodating our members is every staff person's goal. For questions about membership, please contact the Front Desk or Membership Director at 203-235-6386 x16. Sign up for programs will be handled by the Front Desk Staff at the program registration desk or you may register online.
Meriden YMCA Code of Conduct
At the Meriden YMCA, we expect staff, members and guests to behave in accordance with our mission and values at all times respecting the rights and dignity of others. The YMCA is a family organization and we expect members and their guests to behave in a manner consistent with the YMCA's core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility.
At the YMCA we demonstrate these values by:
- Speaking in respectful tones, refraining from the use of vulgar or derogatory language, and dressing appropriately.
- Resolving conflicts in a respectful, honest and caring manner; never resorting to physical contact or threatening gestures.
- Respecting the property of others; never engaging in theft or destruction.
- Creating a safe, caring environment.
- Participating in programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body; never engaging in the use, sale, dispensing or possession of illegal drugs or narcotics or the unsanctioned use of alcohol on YMCA premises.
Adherence to the YMCA Code of Conduct and regulations is essential. Noncompliance may result in suspension or termination of YMCA membership privileges. Membership privileges may be suspended or revoked for any behavior that jeopardizes the health and safety of YMCA members, participants, facilities and equipment.
Conditions of Membership
- When applying for a membership, one must present a valid photo id, review our code of conduct, and complete and sign an application.
- For safety, emergency and security reasons, all members MUST present their membership card at the front desk when using the facility or participating in a program. Guests must produce a photo id, review our guest policy, and sign our guest book.
- Membership privileges and cards are not transferable.
- Membership dues, joining fees and program fees are subject to change.
- Lost cards will be replaced by the membership staff; there is a $8 replacement fee.
- If your bank draft/credit card draft is not honored by your bank the amount will be collected electronically and your account will be charged a $20 service fee.
- The Meriden YMCA reserves the right to reject or cancel any application or membership. We take very seriously the safety and well being of our members and participants. Our policy prohibits membership to anyone convicted of a criminal sex offense or anyone who is a registered sex offender. The YMCA conducts regular sex offender screenings on all members, participants, and guests. If a sex offender match occurs, the YMCA reserves the right to cancel membership, end program participation, and remove visitation access.
- Positively no smoking or tobacco products, alcohol throughout the facility and YMCA grounds.
- No food or drinks (excluding water in water bottles) in locker rooms, exercise areas, or gymnasium.
- No profanity or abusive language.
- Shirt and shorts, or warm ups, and athletic shoes are required in all parts of the building.
- Non-marking gym shoes are required on all courts.
- Members are responsible for guests and their behavior.
- Bathing suits (no cut offs or underwear) are required for swimming and sauna areas.
- Parents must be on the pool deck or in the lobby area while their children age 12 and under are in the pool during Open Swim time per our Aquatics Director. Click here for Pool Rules.
- Please report violations of the rules or damaged equipment to the front desk staff.
- At no time are children under the age of 14 allowed to be dropped off and left unattended in the facility except during supervised youth programs.
- Children under age 14 must be supervised by their parents while at the Y.
- Children ages 7 to 11 may use the Exergame Room. (See Exergame Room Rules.)
- Children age 12 and older whose parents have a family membership may go to aerobics classes with their parent (with the approval of the instructor.)
- Child Watch is available to our members with family or single parent household memberships for children ages 3 months to 9 years old that are part of the membership.
- After 7:00 p.m. any persons under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- The Adult Locker Room is for use by members ages 21 and over. No children are allowed in the sauna. No exceptions.
- Cell Phone Policy: Our YMCA has instituted a cell phone policy for the protection of each Member’s privacy and safety as well as to maintain a peaceful environment for all to enjoy. Cell phone use is prohibited in all fitness and program areas and all locker rooms with the exception of listening to music in fitness areas with ear buds while you work out.Tablet and computer use is also prohibited in locker rooms and saunas.Common social areas such as hallways and lobby may be used for conversations. We appreciate your adherence to this policy on behalf of your fellow Members.
- Fitness Center Age Policies:
- No jeans, work boots or sandals in the Fitness Center.
- 14 years of age or older.
- Graduates of the Middle School Strength Training Program (for grades 6 through 8) may use the Fitness Facility Monday - Friday from 5:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and anytime during hours of operation on Saturday and Sunday accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Under age children are not permitted to sit inside the Fitness Center to wait for family members.
- The Fitness Staff on duty reserves the right to expel any individual who is not age appropriate, behaves in a disrespectful manner towards staff and other members, refuses to pick up after themselves, uses inappropriate language and fails to comply with proper attire policy.
- No pets allowed.
Two courts may be reserved in person at the front desk or by phone as early as one week in advance. Additional reservations can be made only after the previous reservations is used. One hour time slots are available.
Class reservations are made the day before class by signing up at the Front Desk in person or over the phone.
1. Meriden YMCA at 110 West Main Street - One day guest passes are available for $15 per person. A guest must come with a Meriden YMCA member. One guest per member. All guests must follow the Meriden YMCA facility rules, show photo id and sign our guest book. The Meriden YMCA reserves the right to limit guest pass sales.
2. Meriden YMCA Mountain Mist Outdoor Center - One day guest passes are available for $10 per person. A guest must come with a Meriden YMCA member. The Meriden YMCA Mountain Mist Outdoor Center may be used a Meriden YMCA full privilege members (Household, single parent household, adult, senior, senior household). Members must present their Meriden YMCA membership card. All guests must follow the Meriden YMCA facility rules, show id and sign our guest book. There is a maximum of 5 guests per family/member. The Meriden YMCA reserves the right to limit guest pass sales.
Draft account changes
Please contact our Front Desk to make changes to your draft on file used for automatic payments.
Photo/Video/Audio Recording Policy
The YMCA routinely photographs and/or video/audiotapes our members and program participants in various activities. Some of these photos, videos and narrative accounts of member experiences may be used in our marketing, advertising, and fundraising materials. If you do not want to be photographed or videotaped, or your story to be used please tell the photographer/videographer. Taking photographs and/or recording audio or video without authorization is not allowed in certain areas within the facilities.
Camera and Cell Phone Policy
- Video recorders, cameras or any other visual recording devices are not allowed within the YMCA without the expressed consent of the Executive Director.
- Some cellular phones have the capacity to take pictures and video. We have zero tolerance for anyone taking pictures or video of another person without their permission.
- Cell phone usage is not allowed in locker rooms in accordance with the Video Voyeurism Prevention Act of 2004. Members and guests cannot make or take cell phone calls while in the Fitness Center.
- The Meriden YMCA reserves the right to take pictures and video of its participants for brochures, publications, our website and other marketing purposes. If you would prefer not to be photographed, please stop by the Front Desk and let us know in writing.
Cancellation of Membership
Any membership resignation shall be effective one month after receipt of written notification via a cancellation form obtained at our Front Desk. Written notice must be presented at the Meriden YMCA. If you are using payroll deduction, you must notify your employer to stop payroll deductions.
General refund policy
If any class or program is canceled by the YMCA, a full refund of paid program fees, plus membership fees if taken out solely to participate in the canceled class, will be made by check from the YMCA. Membership fees are not refundable. All credits/refunds are handled at the discretion of each program director.
Lost and Found
Any lost items which we recover are placed in our Lost and Found container. See the Front Desk Staff. Items will be kept up to 14 days and then donated to a charitable organization. The YMCA is not responsible for damage, lost or stolen articles of clothing or any other personal property of any member or guest.
Storm Closings and Delayed Openings
Storm closings or delayed openings will be listed on Channels 3 and 4 and on our web site home page, social media and mobile app. Be sure to call us at 203-235-6386 before venturing out in inclement weather to check on the status of programs and classes.
We have three attractive rooms that can be rented during the hours that the YMCA is open. Our pool is also available for rental. Please contact us at 203.235.6386 for more information or stop by the Front Desk.
AUGUSTA CURTIS CULTURAL CENTER (Managed by the Meriden YMCA.) The Augusta Curtis Cultural Center invites you to hold your own special event at this historical beautiful building (Meriden’s first library). Our floor plan is well suited for a variety of events, from auctions to dinner parties and wedding receptions. All 3 floors of the Center are available for rentals: Community Room, Main Level, & Rotunda. The Rosa Ponselle Memorial
Garden’s also available for concerts and private parties. Visit www.curtisculturalcenter.org or call (203) 639-2856.
MOUNTAIN MIST OUTDOOR CENTER
Includes one of three pavilions, basketball courts, bocce ball, volleyball courts, playscapes, pool with lifeguards.Call Cathy Lewis at (203) 235-6386.
The YMCA is for everyone regardless of economic status. Financial assistance is based upon need. Applications are available at the Front Desk.Contact the Meriden YMCA Today ›